Fayetteville Street Baptist Church was founded in 1937 as an outgrowth of an evangelistic meeting held in Asheboro by Rev. George Cooper. A tabernacle was erected on Ward Street by a group of believers, and an evangelistic club was organized, with Colvin West as president, to secure preachers to minister to this somewhat small congregation. In 1942, with a church membership of 106, Rev. Everette Whisnant was called as the first pastor, and the church was given the name of Ward Street Baptist Church.
In 1946, Rev. Ed Madaris became pastor. It was under his ministry that the church moved to its current location at 901 N. Fayetteville Street. In 1954, the first phase of the present building was constructed and the church was renamed to Fayetteville Street Baptist Church. The first parsonage was built on Presnell Street during Rev. Madaris’s ministry.
In the fall of 1960, Rev. Eddie Morrison was called as pastor. During his ministry, they built the present auditorium. On Easter Sunday morning in 1964, the first service was held in the new auditorium.
In January of 1965, Rev. Kenneth Peters began his ministry. During this time, Michael McManus of Piedmont Bible College was called as the first Youth Director of FSBC.
In 1970, Rev. Harold Bowe of Piedmont Bible College was called to pastor. During his first year of ministry, a bus ministry was started under the direction of Rev. Donald Ketcham. A nursery and daycare center was opened, along with the first kindergarten classes. This laid the foundation for Fayetteville Street Christian School. At this time a new parsonage was built on Springwood Street. In 1972, a mission was started on Bowman Road near Randleman with Richard Whiteheart as the pastor. Rev. Darrell Sauls succeeded Brother Whiteheart in 1978, and on Sunday, May 4, 1980, the mission was organized as Calvary Baptist Church, which continues on to this day.
Rev. Nat Thompson was called in 1974 to come as Minister of Music, and later was called as pastor to succeed Rev. Bowe in 1976. He stayed with the church until 1981.
In the fall of 1981, Dr. John Gamble began filling in as interim pastor, and became the pastor in June of 1982, serving until December of 1989.
In January of 1990, Rev. Adrian Pugh began his ministry at FSBC as pastor. During this time, many improvements to include stained glass windows, carpeting, refinishing the pews, and repaving the parking lot, were made to the church and surrounding areas. Rev. Pugh resigned/retired on June 30, 2006.
On January 1, 2007, Dr. Bruce W. Dickerson began his ministry as senior pastor. Pastor Dickerson is assisted by Dave Conyers who serves as the church’s full-time Youth Pastor and Music Minister. Under their leadership, the church has begun to experience a growth spurt including many young couples with their children and teens. Several large projects have recently been accomplished and mission support has been greatly increased. Please accept our invitation to visit one of our upcoming services and see firsthand the wonderful things that are being accomplished at FSBC to the glory of God!